Friday, February 14, 2014

Love Language: A Stupid Ass Name for Sure, But...

As you undoubtedly know, today is Valentine's Day. The day we are supposed to tap into our love language. Can you even say those words without sounding like a complete douche? I'm not really sure what it means since all the love advice I get is from Bravo and everyone on there is nuts, but I do have an opinion.







My personal love language is most evident when discussing a recent shopping trip.

Friend: Oooh!! I love that jacket!
Me: Thanks, $80 at Nordstrom Rack.*
Friend: Wow! That's awesome.

Did you see what happened there? It was quick and subtle and you might've missed it. That's why I cleverly dropped in the asterisk. *My friend did not ask where I got my awesome new threads or how much I paid. But I provided that information automatically. It's the implied next step.

Have I lost you or are you nodding your head in agreement? I thinks it's evolutionarily innate in women, however my husband thinks we're a little nuts. Why on earth would I volunteer these details and who really cares? My answer: anyone who considers me interesting or their friend probably understands and participates in this ritual. It spews out involuntarily as if I were blinking or hair flipping.

Boiling it all down: I want you know to know that I hunted and scored an amazing and fashionable kill. You want to know if the store has any more and do I care if you get one too. I'm just saving you the step of asking. I have a side theory that the better the deal, the faster and louder I share it, but I have no scientific evidence to back this up. It's a match made by cupids's arrow and dropped out of retail heaven.

Even though this unprompted communication is foreign and weird to my husband, there is a love language involving food that he does understand. What do you think of this one?

Setting: any restaurant...
Him: How's your meal?*
Me: Great...do you want to try it?
Him: Sure.

*Notice he didn't come right out and ask me for a taste, but by asking if I'm enjoying my food, I magically offer it to him. Of course I'd have given him a taste if he asked directly, but you gotta test it out. Works every time.

Happy Valentine's Day no matter what your love language is!




No comments:

Post a Comment