Monday, May 20, 2013

I Was a Doubtin' Abbey

I'm not usually so late to the party when it comes to pop culture: I was a founding member of "Lost" and the Red Room of Pain was a dusty memory by the time most of America heard about the Fifty Shades trilogy. But here I sit, head hung, taking the first step to admitting I have a problem: My name is Ellen and I am a bandwagonner.

After all the hype, I broke down and started watching Downton Abbey. I fully admit I only gave it a shot after being sick of the looks, tsk tsks and the "how are YOU not watching this?" I caved to the same peer pressure I usually reserve for those who don't watch "Homeland" or read Wally Lamb.

Plus, the whole idea of getting into something British, Masterpiece Theater no less, seemed incredibly unappealing. After all, I think Mr. Bean is a dope, never cared much for Sporty, Baby, Scary, Posh or Ginger. My usual viewing habits have more to do with zombies and espionage than corsets and chambermaids.

But then I fell under the spell. This damn thing is bloody brilliant. And just as addicting as Walter White cooking meth for all of New Mexico (if you're not watching Breaking Bad, stop reading right now and get yourself on Netflix).

I snuck in moments before school busses arrived, skipped the gym and let the laundry pile waist-high. My kids ate Poptarts for dinner and Poptart crusts for breakfast. I somehow managed to watch all three seasons in 10 days. Pathetic or impressive? Probably both.


Things I've Gleaned from Grantham clan:
  • I should be pronouncing the "t" in valet and this is not a person who parks your car. 
  • Rich people can eat huge meals and never get fat despite the fact that no one seems to burn a calorie
  • Footmen exist outside of Cinderella
  • The male servants hit the motherlode when it comes to fashion. They look like they are off to the Oscars while the female servants look, well, like servants I guess.
  • No one ever pees. 



I was so overjoyed to be a visitor at Downton, but truthfully, I don't think I'd last a minute without my Keurig or flat iron. Long live the olden days by way of modern technology!

All this cramming has left me with a gap in my viewing schedule (season 4 returns January 5).  So...what's next? I'm thinking Scandal or Game of Thrones. Or something else? What do you recommend?











No comments:

Post a Comment