Monday, April 21, 2014

Hey Gringos! 10 Thoughts on Our Mexican Vacay

Buenos tardes de Cancun, Mexico!

I chose this view for the day. Can you blame me?
Today my family is out on an excursion to Chichen Itza to see some Mayan ruins. Eddie and I went in 1992 and I'm still trying to recover. It's a long story, but let's just say the lowlight was having my hair yanked by little Yucatanian girls through the open sides of our rented Suzuki Samarai, and the other lowlight was trying to recover from heat stroke (did I mention there was no roof on said Samarai either?) upon our eventual arrival. Moral of the story: don't rent your own transportation in a foreign country, with foreign maps before GPS is invented particularly when you don't share the same definition of "air conditioning" on a 110 degree day. Anyway, I'm sure the rest of the Virdens are whooping it up on the giant, luxurious tour bus, but I passed on a re-do. Instead I'm roughing it poolside, banging out a blog on my phone. 



Mi diez observaciones de Mexico (still with me?):

  1. Explaining to the hotel operator at midnight that you need more towels and a giant plastic bag because your daughter has uncontrollable food poisoning isn't as uncomfortable as you might think. Explaining to your other daughter who slept through whole thing why she woke up splattered with her sister's vomit is. 
  2. Plagued by a Napoleon complex? Come here where no one grows past 5'5".  
  3. Turns out that someone, somewhere is still selling Crocs and fanny packs.
  4. The hotel staff, taxi drivers and waiters are the friendliest people ever. I don't know if they genuinely love their jobs, but if not they could be in Hollywood collecting Oscars. 
  5. My hair and tropical weather are like Kidman & Cruise, Holmes & Cruise; and why not, let's go really old school and throw in Rogers & Cruise. They seemed ok for a hot minute, but then you realized it was a marriage (or 3) made in hell


  6. You really reacquaint yourselves with your family when you share one bathroom for a week. Do that in Mexico and you re-up the bonds of the circle of trust. 
  7. Even a large, bulbous zit can't deter one poolside vacationer from donning her thong. If she walks by one more time I might go all baboon on her ass and pick it. 
  8. Apparently every woman on the Yucatan Peninsula wears a bikini except me and #7 isn't helping lose my inhibitions.
  9. Zip lining 12 stories high really helps you face your fears. Seeing your 9-yr old come to a complete stop and dangle over a canyon because she's too light to zip all the way to the other platform makes you realize you have a new list of untapped fears. 


  10. Turns out giving your severely ear-infected daughter Mexican antibiotics from a doctor who makes house calls with a fishing tackle box full of meds is a surprisingly easy decision.

My day alone was really nice, but when they got home I hugged them liked they'd been at sleep away camp. They had a great time and on this trip to Chichen Itza the only hair pulling was between sisters. 


They don't let you climb up these pyramids anymore.
Tour guide said too many people were peeing at the top.

How was your spring break? Anything remarkable happy to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment